6 Aug 2011

The Runner's Nod

One of things that I've noticed while running over the last couple of years is the runner’s nod. This is the act of two running strangers acknowledging each other with a quick nod as their paths cross and they head out across their separate miles. It doesn't stop with just a nod either, I have received the thumbs up, the double thumbs up, and two days ago I even got a wave from across the street!

I've always thought of this fleeting greeting as an acknowledgement to the goal shared between the two runners, more than just a “hello” or a “good morning” but an understanding of exactly what you are both experiencing, and dare I say, the absurdity of it all. Grown men and women running up and down the streets quite often for no other reason than we can, and if we don’t… well then something isn't right.

One time when the runner’s nod is not used is on race day, five thousand runners constantly nodding at each other would mean very little running would get done. In fact, the more isolated and sparse the setting the more enthusiastic the nod tends to be. In my experience an early morning run down a quiet country lane is the optimum set of conditions.
I would like just once to stop for a chat with one of these kindred spirits, tell him my story and listen to his. I know he wants to stop for a chat, but we are both being timed and monitored by ourselves and stopping might mean that this week’s time is 60 seconds worse than last weeks.

Maybe I’m reading too much into a simple nod, maybe runners are just a friendly bunch.

I for one enjoy the runner’s nod and I will continue to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Sites