21 Sept 2011

I'm Running a Marathon... I Hope

The problem with running is it can become addictive. The feeling of progression and the achievement of setting yourself a target and training towards and ultimately meeting that target can leave you wanting more. Over the last year or so I've run a couple of 10Ks and a half marathon and soon I will be attempting my first ever full marathon; the Run Liverpool Marathon, the long and winding road race in aid of TheWillow Foundation.

I've been running seriously for about a year and I've been training specifically for the marathon for the last 17 weeks with just a few weeks to go. A few days ago my training peaked in terms of distance and I ran 20 miles, mostly in heavy rain. The peak in my training means a peak in effort and ultimately a peak in fatigue. I regularly have the urge to go to bed immediately after my working day is over.

I recently received my race pack which was quite exciting and has provided me with all the information I need to start planning my race day. The race pack popping through the door gave me a boost and made everything real and reminded me how far I've come in my training and how close the big day is.

The next few weeks will see my distances slowly reduce while my body recovers and rests ready for the big 26.2. This decrease in distance prior to a big run is called a tapering period, and I’m looking forward to it. A reduction in miles, a winding up at the gym and the growing excitement (and nerves) means I might even be able to stay up past nine o’clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Sites